Thank you to everyone who supported the 2017 Strong With Her Walk on September 30. We were delighted to see so many new and familiar faces taking a stand against gender based violence.
A special thank you to our sponsors: Killam Apartment REIT and Mix 96.5.
Please come back in Spring 2018 for Strong With Her Walk updates.
Why We Walk
Violence against women and girls continues to be one of our community’s most pressing issues. We know that:
- Half of all women in Canada have experienced at least one incident of physical or sexual violence since the age of 16
- 92 percent of teens who experience dating violence are girls
- On average, every 6 days a woman in Canada is killed by her intimate partner
- More than 3,000 women a night stay in Canadian shelters to escape abuse. A New Vision In 2016. a partnership of post-secondary institutions, Halifax Regional Police and businesses joined YWCA Halifax to build awareness and highlight the importance of ending violence against women and girls.Over 100 people marched with us in the fall of 2016. Our goal for 2017 is to increase participation and have students, faculty and staff, first responders, businesses and the general public come together fto make a statement that gender based violence is not tolerated in our city or on our campuses.While some of you may remember that this event has focused on men walking in high heel shoes, our vision is more inclusive by including all people and recognizing that women wear high heel shoes, steel toe boots, and everything in between. We’ve stepped away from the heels because we want the shared compassion for this issue to be what shines.
About The Event
Our walk took place on Saturday, September 30th at 1859 Granville Street, Halifax (In the court yard by Boston Pizza). The walk event started at noon, and the route was short and symbolic – about half a kilometre in length. The Mix 96.5 cruiser was there along with our hosts Frankie Hollywood and Natalie from the Mix Morning Show.
- We recommended a minimum donation of $10 upon registering. (if this is a financial hardship, we understand. Please register and join us to be Strong With Her).
- If you fundraised $50, you received a free lunch and YWCA water bottle.
How to Register
Registration was via Canada Helps as an individual or team.
A Special Thank You to All Our Sponsors!